PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas to employ 100 apprentice engineers.
Old 16th Jun 2010, 06:23
empire4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sadly i have to agree with alot of people that getting into aviation is not the most finacial position you could want to be in. I was a QF apprentice which i think was a very good start to being a LAME. Not the best place to stay, and def only pays well after many years, licences and scewing over those who will follow you.

for the potential Apprentices; i say this. Some guys in QF are great teachers, others will harrass and victimise you. Unfortunetly, due to the marketing power machine at QF you will probably watch the females be trained, awarded apprentice of the year....blah blah blah whilst having half your knowledge and determination. I know guys who went 20 years not getting trained, then i know guys who got a course a few months out of their time, (their old man worked up stairs).

you can always go pay for a course, $6K-$10K for the course, time off 6-12 weeks, etc. then you have to get the SOE. Next when you try get a LAME job you will be up against the immigrants that the govn. has decided are needed to keep the wages low. by the way, these guys all have 4+++ licences and on paper all look very good. WE all know that their skill and knowledge is less, however new airlines/MRO's just want you to sign the card.

Ask around how many AME's left QF in the last 10 years. alot.

have i missed anything....