PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions II
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2010, 20:37
RTR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
baggersup

I wondered at the time if just the exhortation of Mr. Holley to employ "guerrilla tactics" had twigged the interest of the CAA. Of course it is a vague suggestion on his part, but in an area as hyper sensitive as airline safety....I wondered if the envelope might be pushed out a bit on what the CAA might consider an actionable offense.
The CAA has not in its remit the right to interfere in any or all of the day to day operations that are solely those of the company. They do, however, exercise their powers to bring to the attention of the company any information that might come from a whistleblower - however, a whistleblower is not immune from identification. If he/she does not agree to be identified the CAA will not take any action even if the charge has substance. Somewhat weird in my view.

As for imperiling the safety of an aircraft the CAA will act with great swiftness and will usually descend in large numbers on the airline or operator to effect an arrest, or question however many possible suspects, or simply question anyone they wish to question. This is rare but I know of two such cases.