PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Solo De-brief, Formal or Informal, Where, When?
Old 15th Jun 2010, 19:54
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skittles I wouldn't say I am extraordinarily experienced.

Any FI who is past restricted will know he is talking pish.

Although seeing in another thread that he has mentioned about windows in the roofs of Hamble aircraft.

He could very well be one of them, which would account for his quasi mil terminology.

The teaching methods from those days are well out of date to the point that even the RAF haven't used them for 15-20 years. If it is the cased its more than likely he did fail some poor sod for the inability of the team to knock someone out of an error loop. Him and the rest of the instructors proberly had a right good laugh about it in the bar afterwards as well. Those days the instructor was god, most students learned to fly inspite of the instruction given instead because of the instruction given. It was meant to make a man and pilot out of you. It was also border line bulling and hazing from the word go. but for some students it actually works for them. Older police officers are partial to a bit of verbal abuse when you teach them.

If it is the case that he is a hamble auld tw@t he is proberly worth listening to when it comes to flight procedures. But for modern day instructural technique give his opinion a wide berth. They proberly did debrief the students after first solo. But lacked either the theory of learning knowledge or really didn't care even if they did know. It was just another chance to hit the student with the fact that they were all important. Either way the student got bugger all out the debrief apart from the relief that they wern't getting chopped.

And to add from the previous sacastic comment, I have never met SAS. When I was full time he ran the school 150 miles to the south. I have flown checkouts with his ex students and I am sure he has flown with mine. O aye and there is 3500Nm between me and where SAS is just now.

Last edited by mad_jock; 15th Jun 2010 at 20:05.