PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Solo De-brief, Formal or Informal, Where, When?
Old 15th Jun 2010, 16:10
Say again s l o w l y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most people will have lost the will to live after reading this far into this thread, but I'll carry on regardless, even though I'm bored now.

I understand that you do a debrief after a first solo, what I don't understand is why. Why is doing a formal, sit down debrief where you start to explain the intricacies of the techlog and command decision making (as mentioned by yourself in the other thread) better than what we are all describing here, where the debrief consists of;
"How did that go?"
"Great!"
"Any problems you want to talk about?"
"No"
"I didn't notice anything, let's go and celebrate."

All done as you walk back to the clubhouse.

I then get them to fill in the techlog (which I've explained in a proper brief previously), hand them their certificate, take a picture to go on the wall/website and in some places hand them a cheap bottle of fizz as a "well done."

If you've got more flying to do yourself, then you do that, if not you drag them for a celebratory pint (Usually an orange juice and lemonade for me as I'm driving home) and you have a chat about everything, usually involving a blow by blow account of the flight.

That's what I do and I've already said why I follow this method. So, what's your method and why do you follow it?