PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Solo De-brief, Formal or Informal, Where, When?
Old 15th Jun 2010, 13:01
Skittles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm fresh of my first solo as well. What an experience.

In terms of debriefing he didn't say a word.

I'm no instructor but unless you make serious mistakes what is the point in a debrief?

- If the flight is excellent then there's no point in debriefing whatsoever. Just a glorified well done, which you get enough of from the lads sitting around in the flight school and over the radio as you taxi back.

- If the flight is good with a couple of mistakes but the pilot is still elated as to be expected, then you drag them into a stuffy little room and pick them up on all the things they could have done better you'll destroy the experience and their newly gained confidence.

I'm a little unusual in that I'm a perfectionist and I like to be told every single little thing I've got wrong, so I wouldn't be fussed if my instructor decided to debrief formally.

The whole point of going solo though is to use your own skills, knowledge and judgment to complete a successful circuit. Surely if you're on the first solo you're at the standard where you don't need an instructor to tell you if you cocked up, or what you could have done better?