PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The official Soccer World Cup 2010 Thread
Old 15th Jun 2010, 11:27
evanb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beta, I agree with a lot what you said in your last post. I am just not convinced that we promised FIFA much in the way of development. We promised that they would make money out of it and there is little doubt that they have made a fortune. I think that my abrasiveness on this is that the world media, including South Africa, spent nearly 10 years talking about failure and how it won't happen, i.e. the stadia won't be ready, the infrastructure won't be ready, that FIFA will move it to Australia, that everyone who comes will be raped and murdered. Now when almost none of this has materialised they have moved on to it costs too much, that the money was better spent elsewhere, that the stadia and infrastructure are all white elephants, etc. The British media love bashing South Africa - they have done it since the 31 May 1961. When Sky News run out of negativity they start with the Vuvuzela!!! The fact of the matter is that South Africa has pulled it off, the World Cup has started, and so far been a success in many ways and has cost significantly less than it would have cost elsewhere in the world. Lets leave the speculation about the future for a while and enjoy it while it lasts. If they knock down one of the stadia in a few years because it is not being used and costs too much I will happily eat my words then, the same for the genuine improvements in infrastructure, particularly transport ... but why can't you let people enjoy it!

I am off to watch Portugal versus the Ivory Coast - later!