PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA suspends all CEP, DEP recruitment.
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2001, 19:00
Magnus Picus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Ladies and Gentlemen, allow me to explain my experiences as a Cadet Entry Pilot in 1991.

Let me begin by stating that I am in no position to explain BA's policy regarding recruitment right now, but what I can do is explain what happened to me and 400 of my colleagues in 1991.

I was attending Oxford Air Training School in 1990-91 when the Gulf War broke. Within weeks of the commencement of 'Desert Strike', all Cadets in training were told that recruitment had stopped. We were (by virtue of a contractual arrangement with O.A.T.S. and similarly at Prestwick) allowed to continue to the completion of our course.

From around February 1991 to when the last courses finished in early 1992, around 400 sponsored pilots left their training schools to the prospect of what BA described as "an indeterminate freeze on all new entry positions within BA".

Many Cadets were, after a few months, offered positions in BA as Cabin Crew and some used their previous qualifications to seek work in other industries. Very very few managed to find positions to exploit their spanking new CPL/IR licences.

Here is the ominous news......

It took BA a few months short of 4 years before they recommenced employing Cadet Entry pilots again. Most had lapsed on their licences and felt somewhat Ab Initio all over again. Thankfully, BA were aware of this and average sector totals before being released on to the line were around 60 flights rather than the previous average of 40. We were still re-learning 6 months on and it was a distinct shock to most shorthaul Captains for most of 1995/96.

My advice to anyone who is ON a course is
  • If BA keep the course going but with no employment offered at the end, do not hesitate to work ANYWHERE in the world to keep your licence going, jobs will be few and far between.
  • Do not take it personally. BA have made this decision to ensure there is a business to work for in a few years time.
  • If you have other qualifications to fall back on then do not say you have a Pilots Licence on your CV. Say that you have been 'travelling' and apply for work that can provide something commensurate to your degree/A level qualification. Employers will look upon you as someone who will flee to pastures new (ie.A Flying Job) when the industry turns around if you include the letters ATPL in your Curriculum Vitae
  • Set up a committee that includes ALL of you, so that you will not feel alienated from BA. There are many pilots here at BA who will keep you in the loop if you ask...

Good Luck and if you have any questions, see my E-Mail address in my 'Profile'. (BA cadets only please)