PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The official Soccer World Cup 2010 Thread
Old 14th Jun 2010, 16:27
ByAirMail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evanb

I did a "lite" search on Google and this was the first to come up. It is not close to the original program, about a 5 minute insert during a program on CNN about the W.C. It was either on Thursday or Friday, approx. 15:00 Bangkok time on C.N.N. in Asia.

If all else fail I'll e-mail CNN and ask them for a link. I'll P.M. you with a copy of the e-mail to them.
In the mean time, from a "lite" search on google asia:

World Cup in 2002, Money and David Beckham

It was hoped that the World Cup would be a boost to local economies. That didn’t happen. Some businesses had less business than usual during the event. Hotels that were expected to reap big profits had to cut prices because of last minute cancellation caused by foreign travel companies that were unable to convince soccer fans in their countries to spend the money to go to an expensive Japan.

More than $4.5 billion was spent to build 10 new stadiums, many of them in small cities in the middle of nowhere. After the World Cup was over many of the stadiums had difficulty finding tenants and resorted to hosting weddings, flea markets and youth soccer tournaments and even selling turf said to have been walked on by Beckham, earning only a fraction of the millions of dollars needed just to cover annual maintenance costs. Some stadiums were designed only for soccer so they couldn’t be used for baseball games or concerts. The town of Toyota spent $40 million on a new stadium that wasn’t even used on the World Cup. The lost money was covered by tax payers and long-term government bonds.

It was also hoped that World Cup would generate more long term interest and money for local soccer leagues. That didn’t happen either. While television revenues rose, gate receipts actually went down.

The only person to make out really well was David Beckham. He was paid millions of dollars for endorsements for products including cell phones, chocolate-covered almonds, beauty products and used cars. When he returned to Japan a year after the World Cup was over and was received like a rock star. On television I once saw four Beckham commercials in a row, each for a different product. He reportedly made $3.6 million from TBC (Tokyo Beauty Center) ads alone. On his appeal, one Japanese female fan said, “I devote my whole life to Beckham” and said Japanese women like him so much because he is “so caring and kind.”

SOCCER IN JAPAN - Japan | Facts and Details