PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The official Soccer World Cup 2010 Thread
Old 14th Jun 2010, 12:36
evanb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I asked you to explain your statement: Fortunately, we live in a democracy and votes are allocated in proportion of income!!! I'm waiting. Typo, it should have said arn't allocated in proportion of income, sorry!

However, the last time I checked we don't live in a one party state.
Are you seriously suggesting that there will ever be another ruling party than the ANC? The elections have been a charade. Just because another party might not win an election it doesn't mean we live in a one party state. And yes, I am suggesting that at some point in the future someone other than the ANC might be in power, not anytime soon but its certainly possible. On what grounds are the elections a charade?

Its a democracy and the large majority of citizens would rather that money be spent on the world cup.

Can I take it that you have personally polled a sufficient number of them to validate this sweeping statement. That you have said to them : "Would you like to live safely and with better security and health services, education and job prospects for your children, or would you rather that South Africa hosted a World Cup which you will probably not be able to afford to attend anyway? Yes, I work in a market research firm that does polling and we have been doing this for a long time and there is a lot of support for the world cup.

Surely if they didn't want this they would vote out the government? Or are you suggesting that our elections are a sham?
And how would they do that? By not voting ANC? And then? By voting for another party ... that is what elections are about.

Who are you trying to fool? Can I have some of whatever you've been drinking or smoking please, it seems to induce a feeling of euphoria.

And do you really think that Argentina, Mexico, and Brasil are valid comparisions with South Africa? I lived in Brazil for 8 years ... its a country that shares remarkable similarities to South Africa. It has large scale poverty and inequalities of income. A strange history of race relations. Massive crime, etc.