PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CX SO Ugrades??
Thread: CX SO Ugrades??
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2010, 06:05
Eyes only

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still doesn't bring the cadets anywhere near the times you are talking about.
True, however I would put any CAT A CEP up against a DEFO in the sim or with tech questions, and the CEP would come out on top. By the time they get to JFO they have had the exposure to the operations, the ops manual, ATC, probably in the region on 30-40 sim sessions using CX procedures.

Not that it matters much, but I thought they hired a lot of DEFOs and then changed into the unified FO scheme. Didn't that first happen in 2008?
No not at all, I cannot remember, but I think they started hiring DEFOs onto the PAX fleet directly in 2005 or 2006. A number of them were employed on COS99, however that is changing with the basing agreements where they are being "forced" over to COS08 if they have not already done so. Others opted to go to COS08 as it got them out of freighter flying, the choice of COS08 and SLS was voluntary compulsory last year.

How do they avoid following the court ruling from last year? Wasn't it required after 18 months?
The matter is still before the court.

Last I saw on the HKAOA website was the judge that heard the appeal had not started their deliberations, I think the appeal was heard late February this year.

The contracts says approximately 18 months, however CX barristers have stated in court that CX is never obliged to upgrade any SO or FO as it is not actually written in the contract.

This was only of the Labour tribunal rulings that CX was appealing, as the Labour tribunal basically said that was an implied term in the contract.

CX is of the view it can just not hold assessment boards for SOs, therefore none are ever found “suitable’, therefore hire as many DEFOs as they like. That is not the view the Labour tribunal had in their deliberations.

I was told by one of the SOs that CX did not hold any assessment boards between Late 2007/2008 until just recently. During that time "hundreds" of DEFOs were employed and "hundreds" of SOs that met all the requirements did not even get a shot at a FO course as CX artificially held them down by not assessing anybody.