PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - us v them
Thread: us v them
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2010, 19:58
Scooby Don't

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've said before that I prefer new recruits to have a genuine and long-standing interest in aviation, and I've been disagreed with by some! In general, I'd say most of those who aren't aviation enthusiasts when they join ATC do at least gain an interest as they do the job, but there are always those who say there's no need for enthusiasm, and that they can do the job just as well as the "spotters". If I may generalise, I'd guess the latter opinion is more prevalent in area than in approach or tower.

I believe it's a short-sighted move to do away with flight training for ATC recruits. It really is beneficial to know what goes on in the cockpit, and spending time in a jet sim is arguably even better training than flying a PA-28 for 15 or 20 hours. Better still is to have the flying experience AND the sim experience.

Sadly, visits from pilots to ATC were quite rare when I was in the UK, and are almost unheard of here in the sandpit. Admittedly, airside security and tight duty schedules make it difficult for pilots to visit us here.