PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Collective Colour Vision Thread 3
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2010, 18:30
Dantruck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Class 1 medical is "Issued as a Deviation in accordance with JAR-FCL 1.015 and JAR-FCL 2.015."

The only practical restriction is I must complete commercial training in the UK, ie: in our CAA's own backyard...presumably so that they can keep an eye on me and make sure my unblemished private flying record continues at least up until the day they accept the responsibility of having issued me with a commercial ticket.

How I got here is a long story, but basically I long ago failed the Holmes-Wright Lantern test and years later passed the Baynes Lantern test which the CAA had latterly adopted in addition...around 2004, I think. Basically, UK CAA figured out other JAA-land nations had relied on the simpler Baynes test for years without problems, and that its own Holmes-Wright Lantern was knocking out too many safe pilots, ie: people with mild but absolutely consistent colour vision that was just different - but not wrong - to what others see.

If you can pass Baynes you'll be OK. I think UK CAA also has one other lantern in use. The requirement is you only have to be able to pass one of the three to be classed fit.

Best you email CAA medical and ask. They've had to learn to deal with a lot of us 'people of colour' in recent years, and they've got pretty slick at it. In short they've learned that they have been able to back away from the toughest standard without dropping safety levels. The fact you have a clean record will also stand you in good.

Good luck
Dan