PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - us v them
Thread: us v them
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2010, 15:36
chillie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
us v them

Us v them, is not a viable scenario where safety is the main objective

There have been a number of recent threads that very much seems to indicate that there is a great lack of understanding between the work and requirements of controllers and that of pilots. Some thoughts:

Being involved with ab-initio ATC training I can say that with our students, on top of their ATC studies much of the course involves learning about the pilot side of the job. This includes a fairly good theoretical knowledge of Engines and Airframes, Aerodynamics, Performance, Navigation and a requirement to know the performance of all the common aircraft with which they will deal.

On top of this they will do 20 hours of flight training including going solo, and be required to write reports on a number of famil. flights with the local airline. They will also receive a number of hours of “Customer Relations” which will be given by airline pilots and when possible the operation personnel.

During the more advanced training which includes emergencies, the instructors always get a visiting airline pilot to monitor and help with feed back.

Now, in spite of this we “old timers” often complain that our students have a lack of general understanding but I do think we make a good effort.

I am not sure how much official ATC training or knowledge the average pilot has but I think that those who do know what goes on were either controllers or they showed some interest. Locally we have a team whose task it is to liaise with the crews of local airlines and resolve problems that both sides have. I guess this helps mainly for home base.

Quite a few of our part time “blip drivers” (simulator pilots) are real pilots, including airline pilots. They get a close up view of ATC training and nearly all of them have said they had no idea of what it was like and it has changed they way they view ATC.