PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Contract Work
Thread: Contract Work
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2010, 23:55
johns7022

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only time I was contracted by other then the biz jet owner himself...was an aircraft sales outfit...payment up front, Eticket waiting at the airport...both ways...

Dealing with principals themselves has never been a problem, I just ask that they have payment at the end of day, they get my invoice....never a problem.

Once the client is trusted, no problem mailing an invoice, usually got a company check with in 2 weeks outside....

Only time I ever sprung for airline tickets/hotels/food...was for a job interview, and only because they wanted me there now...like today...and it was explicitly understood that a check for X amount would be waiting when I got there..

If your talking to the owner of the jet, you'll get a feel if he's the real deal or not...

There is no reason why the company secretary can't pay for cars and hotels with a company credit card over the phone...leaving you to cover meals for reimbursement later....

And if the boss is in the back of the plane...why would the pilot put the fuel on his card?

Obviously some of you are getting burned because your nooby's to this game, and probably working for peeps that keep asking you for stuff, and you keep giving it...be smart about it..

So once you have made sure your not out of money and flying for free, the real issue of liability comes to play..

Get NAMED on the jet insurance policy.....takes 5 minutes, then get a copy sent to you...if you fit in the open pilot criteria that's ok...but the best is a 'waiver of subrogation'....basicaly...whatever happens they won't sue you..impossible to get really...but some have...

If you are the type, that can walk up to any jet your typed in and fly it away...contract flying is fun...it brings up your game...trying to program a different FMS for your SID on the fly...or just hand fly it out, figuring the avioniccs on the trip to whereever....

The best deal is to be either a relief pilot for a big company, or just be the part timer for a jet that flies when your free, flexible peeps...requires you have a real full time job, who covers the big bills, school..

All in all, most of these guys just need someone that will fly them around and not bend up their plane...if they like you, they will call you back, pay is not an issue, and there are perks...go to nice places, nice people...ect.

When I hear these stories about contracting organizations, if I got a call from one of them, I would just want pay and some expense money up front...if it doesn't happen, work out...then I refund them...I won't chase peeps down for money..

Sorry to say this but if a contractor organization in the biz off supplying pilots is burning it's people, it goes out of biz fast...probably more likely the pilots screw up a job, but still want the money....