PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Transat Hiring Again!
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2010, 01:49
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TheCanuck,

Pardon me, but I have to contribute the following.

While I know very little of AT I've watched their success over the last 20 plus years and understand the contributions many pilots past and present must have contributed to that success.

Good luck to you and your pilot group with your negotiations. As negative as I am with regard to the flying business in this country, I sincerely hope you set a new standard in pilot wages by negotiating a fair and reasonable payscale for all professional pilots suffering at Canadian carriers from coast to coast of all types and sizes, to envy. I have every confidence that pilots under ALPA's guidance, flying an all wide body fleet, will be held to an international standard befitting your operation and not the usual drivel spit out by idiotic airline management of hard times, beyond our control operating costs, reduced margins, high oil prices and just about any other 'excuse' imaginable. These are tough economic times, and blah, blah, blah.

They will undoubtedly counter by pointing out the airline may very well fail. Actually, based on many management egos, that's not a likely scenario as these threats, enlightening statements, whatever you might refer to them as, have been made year after year after year. We're more afraid of the unknown possibilities than they are. In the end, no guts, no glory. If it kills your airline, then moving forward you'll realize the airline was in shaky financial shape anyway and was likely doomed to failure, regardless. What better time to be standing in such a strong bargaining position? Look at the pilot recruiting going on around the world. Have no fear. You have a fallback position and it doesn't include concessions.

Well, while they're paying these unreasonable expenses claimed to be out of their control, maybe they should ponder how these aircraft will make it into the air if the ever rising day to day costs for the 'industry standard' pilot and his family which aren't being met, don't show up to work?

Improving your lot in life will have a knock on effect at every carrier at every level. So, good luck you and your ALPA pilot group.

Willie

Last edited by Willie Everlearn; 12th Jun 2010 at 02:03.