PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Nigeria(n) Eagle aka Air Nigeria
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2010, 21:39
The Maestro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@9jarep -- So far it's all been positive since JI came on board. His energy is infectious. Sure, JI may have an ego the size of A380, but he is not an asset stripper in the manner of Frank Lorenzo with Continental and that other rich whatchamacullam with erstwhile TWA, Carl Icahn. Continental survived, TWA didn't. I think JI's ownership style is closer to Lorenzo's. On a simulator in Miami once, my instructor was an ex-TWA pilot who took early retirement, his hand forced by Carl Icahn's asset stripping, benefits scrapping, glean-to-the-bone style of management/ownership. He didn't find it funny his retirement benefits would be messed with if he stayed, so he opted to leave and retain what was still on paper. I don't think JI came in to lose his millions --on the contrary VK will turn out to be a damn good investment for him.
@ Happypilot -- the salary at VK is competitive. Captains take home about N1.1 to 1.3 mil monthly with about 60 hours flight duty pay. On some months when you fly 80 plus hours, you will see N1.4 mil. Not bad, except that for some time it was coming late, and when it came you now used it to repay debts incurred while waiting for it. It's better now under the Ethiopian CEO.
And yes indeed, the reversal is taking place, and soon to be in full swing. Mum's the word. Grapevine has it that W3 CP has put in his letter. Had it up to his gazookas with --- you tell me. Word is end of June, he'll take a graceful exit. Pity. Nice chap.
Gave a lot of guys opportunities on the NG and CRJ, and even A340. Hope he goes to VK.