PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DLR
Thread: DLR
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2010, 13:45
Captain McFly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Jabr,
which visual memory test? There are several (old, retired ones and some tests which indeed are being conducted)...
Noboby really knows the pass marks; they're kept secret.
There's only on one test some reliable information by the DLR which leaked into the internet. It's concerning the RMS-Test (Running Memory Span), where numbers are being continously read to you and suddenly you have to key in as many numbers from your memory as possible in reverse order. I think, that's a very, very bad one...
So, just for example, see here (german):
http://www.psych.uni-goettingen.de/c...stract_id=1224
They say, the mean value is !only! 3.8 correct digits, while the standard deviation is 0.67. Maybe mean value + standard deviation (4.5) is already more than enough!
So, don't let them drive you mad - that's all they wanna see...
And don't trust people who claim to enter in this test e.g. 8 digits - it's bullsh...
I had avarages of just 5.2 - 5.6 correct digits and I've been told, that it was pretty good.
Another example: Mental arithmetics.
I've heard from several others who have entered just two or three solutions at all - without knowing if these have been correct; and they all passed.
So, there's the assumption, that this tests is only there to put you under heavy stress for the next tests, since only very, very few individuals are good in mental arithmetics.
Conclusion: In the end, you even don't know if a certain tests indeed checks the abilities which it claims to check. Some tests might serve a completely other purpose than might might look like on the first impression.
So, my simple advise is just:
Don't let them drive you mad, that's most important, because that's what they wanna see primarily.
Do as well as you can. Be prepared as well as you can.
Be as honest as you can (very, very important!).
Don't listen to what others say. Nobody knows the real pass marks. At lot of people are showing off with tuned results in the preparations or they're unhonest to themselves and even in the test, e.g. when entering columns of 10 digits in the RMS (which might kill you, as I *believe*)...
You will be fine.
Simple as that.
All the best & good luck!
McFly