PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collisions too rare to worry about!
Old 7th Jun 2010, 21:29
aflyer100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SPOOKY Mid-air story

I own a plane (made in 1968) that was in a mid-air in 1970 over Alabama. This was long before I owned it.

When I was researching the airplane before I bought it, I was astonished to find it in an NTSB report. The damage was minor (some sheet metal, a new propeller, and an engine teardown). The good news was that everyone in both planes survived without injury!

This seemed to me, a very unusual mid-air where evryone was fine.

So where is the spooky part?????????

A couple of months ago, I was flying from northern maine to Massachusetts IFR and working Boston Approach. They called traffic and warned about a similar callsign. I'm N4907J and it turned out that N4906J was on frequency flying the same route in the opposite direction (we were over PSM).

I soon saw an almost identical plane passing safely off my left wing.

Once he was off-frequency, the controller commented on the similar tail number and I said, "I bet he rolled off the assembly line just before me."

Well, when I got home, I Googled the tail number and found an NYSB report about a mid-air

In 1969, the N4906J was in a mid-air on the west coast. Everyone survived that one too!!!

So Two airplaanes. Same model, Same year of manufacture with consecutive tail numbers....

* Both had midairs while in normal cruise
* All planes were able to glide to an airport
* In both cases everyone survived without injury
* In both cases the other plane was a military plane

While I'm glad my plane is pre-disastered, I have to wonder what kind of Karma was floating around the Arrow production line back in 1968!!