PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collisions too rare to worry about!
Old 7th Jun 2010, 21:10
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
rsiano
Hi Retired,
Nope, no humor intended. I wanted to start a discussion centered around the very small number (only 10 in 2007).
Thanks!
Dick
10 reported? How many had been overlooked due to unwanted paperwork? How many have not been observed?

Last year a UL pilot was killed due to midair in the approach-sector of our airfield by a jak-formation.....
Ive lost my best friend in a midair in 1987, same day my son was born.....
Iīve lost another three squadron-buddies in midairs in 5 years.....
A cessna-Pilot got killed, when he got into the wake turbulence of a squadron jet ...... actually that was a nearmiss, however a fatal one..
I could count the rivets in the intake of an F-4 while passing unnoticed...
Guy came back with damaged wingtip, didīnt know how happened....
on another airfield there was the other guy wondering, why his wingtank was looking weired, both had met and hadnīt noticed anything.....

Sure most of it was military in VFR/VMC in one of the most crowded parts of germany, but all those mentioned had been accidents. I wont tell the many happenings with aircraft all sizes i met close enough to think about it. By the way, i also didīnt like the paperwork, and you never knew if it wouldīt fall back on yourself.

....even when you dont intend it, a young inexpierienced guy might just use your big sky thinking and reduce his already marginal lookout to zero. I dont want to be his paying passenger.

franzl

Last edited by RetiredF4; 8th Jun 2010 at 10:50.