PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collisions too rare to worry about!
Old 7th Jun 2010, 19:26
boofhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coincidence. Last sunday with a student flying into an airfield with Flight Service. Told him the freq and he called, no reply. Since it was sunday I thought Flight Service was not on duty. He made all the required calls, we saw nobody, and turned onto final. At about 300 feet he swore, pulled up and avoided an airplane immediately below us, making the same speed, bound for the same runway. I did not see him until the go around, and did not even see his shadow, which is usually what I see first. Maybe the two shadows were superimposed.
I do not know how he joined the pattern, I think it was through Base, and from low level, so we never had a chance to see him. This is a common way of joining at this airport, but he might have been under us all along, even on downwind. Scary.
The radio was finger trouble of course, and after I reset it, we continued in the pattern.
I asked Flight Service if they had any details of what happened, but the lady on the radio said she heard nothing from any of the airplanes related to this incident. The other pilot apparently never did see us, and the Flight Service was not aware we were even there, until after the go around when we called. There was an airplane waiting to takeoff, and that pilot could easily see the final approach but made no warning calls.
Many years of being the target, now I was the offender, and it did not feel good.