PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quality of Uniform
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2010, 10:17
barnstormer1968

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a non RAF type, I do find the way the RAF go about choosing their uniform as a little odd, but then do understand that the RAF (as a service/force?) must be hard to choose for.

If we get past the fact that the RAF seem to put folks in charge of procuring their uniforms who are possibly inept, and out of touch (or simply not up to the job),
it does help in understanding the problems.

So, am I to understand that the RAF choose a uniform, sometimes based on style,
and not always using guidelines from the the other services, and then once these uniforms are in issue, they ask the folks who wear them to comment on them, and point out any flaws or good points (which is the system used in the comercial world, but not in the same order).

IMHO the RAF has things tougher than the other services as they are not sure
what they are! The army are clearly a force, as are the Royal Navy. The F in RAF stands for force, but some personnel seem to think they are in a service, and I feel this is wear some issues arise. The army wear boots..What do the RAF wear?
(and yes this can be a big issue with the other services, making them see the RAF as office boys, living in slipper city (as do some RAF folks on det see those who aren't, or who never go anywhere))

The RAF want the new multi cam, as they should. They also want it for aircrew
as they should, as it is good for security of personnel, BUT they also don't want to wear combats, as it is not the RAF way, and looks scruffy (obviously, I am picking random views and not talking of everyone here).

Some in the RAF don't like the idea of wearing beret's, but think peaked caps
look silly on det.

Some in the RAF don't want to wear any TRF's or 'army type' patches on their uniforms, yet do not want to be seen as army (when wearing army combats), and
yet also want some of the old unit patches back (while others don't)

The other services just wear what they are issued, or buy their own kit, while the RAF want to be special, and get everything they ask for ( I personally see two distinct groups here..One that will wear anything, and another group that wants something just how they like it...And both have posted in this thread).

IMHO the 'RAF' that is hard at work on operations are worried about bullets and mortar rounds, not seeing their mates get hurt, and just doing there job in some very tough circumstances (you get a huge from me) are not at all bothered about how well their trousers hold a crease, or whether their jumpers bobble!

But, maybe there is another 'RAF' where these things do matter, and so do feedback forms and committees....as well as any other form of mundane petty nonsense, just to justify an existence!

As I said above, I am not from an RAF background, and so may see the issue differently to those within the RAF. I also see some parallels to the shiny RAF in the commercial world too. I was once teaching a course, and as the temperature was rising the students would need to walk through melted snow (oddly enough called snow melt) rather than thick snow. I tried to telephone the office staff to see if they had any extra ropes (as only they could supply any equipment..sound familiar), and they had gone home, as the office heating was broken and at only 16 degrees C it was too cold for them to work!