PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R22 accident Henau Switzerland
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2010, 07:52
Furia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thing about ruling out autos from the syllabus is just plain nonsense.

Specially for people flying Single piston engines.

In 16 year flying career, I had only once to perform a full autorrotation in a twin turbine helo, and that saved our day.

I understand the concern from the small FTO companies in Europe that would prefer not to "take chances" with autorotations, but like it or not, helicopter pilot know how to perform them, and there is no simulator yet that can reproduce this better than making it real. Besides, it provides the pilot the self confidence, he can do it on the real thing.

I did my pilot training in the USA, and there from day 3 we were performming full down autorotations day and night (by night, we do it on a runway) in an R-22 early model.

I see with concern how in Europe, the powerful FTO, try to drag the trainig programs more into classrom theory and simulator, while pilots just fly the very very minimum flight time alone and maneuvers such autorotations are recovered at 300 feet instead performing full dows.
And you can feel the resoult of that kind of "training" when the young pilots jump into the demanding company trainings programs.

Helicopter flying is much safer with a pilot in command confident and skilled to perform a full autorrotation than with a guy that just have heard about it.