PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bing-bong "This is your captain/flight attendant/whoever..."
Old 5th Jun 2010, 03:52
rottenray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZFT writes:

I don’t know what the answer is but modern briefings are both repetitive and boring. There has to be a better way. Possibly an on line test either at home or in the departure lounge with a personal briefing for those who fail or who haven’t performed the test?
The problem is that some pax complain when CC try to inject humor or make the briefing palatable. Some feel this makes light of serious information.

I think others complain because the laughter/applause drowns out their last few seconds of stinky hip-hop before they *should* be stowing their iPod-thingies for take-off.

(Those, by the way, are the folks I - and prolly OyYou - will be pushing aside or walking over on the way out, unless they're also moving in the same direction. I don't have time for Darwin Award hopefuls on the ground, let alone in the air.)

ExXB writes:

The Hudson experience tells us that few people (except PPRuNers of course) pay attention or read the card.
I still find it amazing that there were no fatalities, all things considered. I don't consider it a miracle - Sulley and his #1 used skill and experience to make a perfect water landing, but there was nearly nothing perfect about the evac.

And yet, most of "us" (not necessarily us here) won't take the 5 minutes to listen to a safety spiel.

Call Bell writes:

Just one point... crew demonstrate how to fasten a seatbelt but more importantly how to OPEN it.
Exactly.

Also, some CC include important tips that don't seem important on first blush, but can be crucial when the sh!t hits the fan:

"And please notice that the overwing exits are smaller, those of you who are not with the circus will have to duck to avoid hitting your head against this aircraft-grade alumiwhatsit." (Heard this years ago on a CO flight.)

The thing which really p!sses me off is that being in a group of people which holds a few who have NO regard for safety brings down the survivability for all of us. It will take ALL of us working together to get out of an aircraft in a crash situation, and there are no drills for doing so - all we have are the spiels and common sense.

Fortunately, I don't have to fly as often as I did in the past. As much as I love the airline industry, the next time I fly I'm going to try to book on a private jet looking for a few pax to offset positioning costs.