PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates to recruit 700 pilots in next 18 months
Old 4th Jun 2010, 15:11
Wizofoz

Location: Boldly going where no split infinitive has gone before..
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
You seem to be one of the more level-headed respondents wrt the ME. What would be the attraction of a domestic Oz pilot to Emirates? (I say that considering the relatively high mins required for Emirates) What promotion prospects? Any hint at all of Oz basings for Mrats bograts?
SC,

As you can see, being "level headed" is akin to being a heretic with some at EK!

It's very much up to the individual as to whether coming here would be a good move. From a financial standpoint you are probably going to do better in the long run than the likes of J* or Tiger, but money isn't everything.

Command probably 5 or 6 years for someone joining now.

Lifestyle? Definatley not a laid-back existence like Aus. The driving is crazy, service is hit-and-miss and during summer it is just STUPID hot.

It is, however, an interesting look at how the world works, the machines are nice and the destinations second to none.

Were I currently a VB 737 Captain, I wouldn't leave it for an F/O slot here.

But a newish Tiger F/O? I can see the attraction.

Basings? We live in hope but I wouldn't come here on the expectaion.Good chance it will never happen.

At present the seniority list stops somewhere North of 2300. Normal attrition is approximately 2-3%. If you joined now with any idea that you will have a Command within 8-10 years you are again delusional
CTL- Factor in the fact we still have 140 aircraft on firm order, with probably more to come.

Finally, this is the Middle East-it is VERY DIFFERENT, you have NO right to challenge or question anything the company does: I will repeat that: You have NO right to challenge!!!. Your contract pertains to the bond only, all other conditions are subject to change at the Company's whim, and the changes are non-contestable.
I see you have taken this recent myth and run with it. The letter of employment is a binding contract. Would you please give one example of where the company has actually breached the letter of that document? (Note, niether the 3% increment nor productivitey is mentioned in it. Utilities is and if they charged for them it would be a breach. In spite of the cap I am not aware of anyone actually being charged for going over it.) If it were breached you would have redress both in the UAE Labour court and the country in which you signed it.