PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collisions too rare to worry about!
Old 4th Jun 2010, 14:59
boofhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I rarely say this, but you are crazy.

I suspect you have come close on more than a few occasions and simply did not see the other airplane. I have personally had a couple of dozen real close calls (I saw the individual fires inside the burner can one time and got less than 30 feet away from a Speedbird with 400 passengers one night over Kabul (ATC error), just to mention two of them.

On more than one occasion I identified the other airplane and asked the pilot if he had seen me and he said no. He wasn't looking.

In the airlines I found many fellow pilots who flew with their cockpit lights full bright all the time at night, meaning that they would not be able to see anything outside even if they looked.

In one airline I flew for management had to put out a memo ordering the pilots not to use newspaper when covering the windscreens by day, because the print was hard to remove from the glass! They then used the thin paper tray covers from the passengers meal trays, which would stay nicely on the glass using static cling. You could see the reverse of the airline logo on the glass.

I have lost many good personal friends and acquaintances to mid air collisions and it is the first thing I tell my daughter to watch for, she is leaning to fly gliders and powered aircraft. She is right now at a glider camp, thermalling with two or three other gliders in the same thermal, with a busy commuter air corridor going through the same area.

I teach my GA students to use their shadows, check for an intruder in their vicinity. I have spotted many such conflicts and avoided them by doing this. I would no more fly around without watching diligently for other traffic than I would put my head in a microwave while it was running.

I flew three times in the last few days and had to maneuver on all of them to avoid traffic. One flight was IFR. I was not using TCAS or any aid other than lookout. If I had not been looking out, maybe I would not have hit the other guy, and there have been times when I spotted the other airplane too late to make any avoiding moves, but was lucky not to hit it. I suspect there is a majority of pilots out there who simply have no clue, on this or any other subject concerning true flight safety. They usually end up in management.

If you think it is not a problem then all I can say is God protects fools.

Or if it is a joke, pardon me for not seeing the humour.