PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL MEP v SEP question
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2010, 10:42
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
However, as differences training is required to transfer for the first time between any two MEP types (e.g. BE76 to PA34), this is hardly a significant problem.
The difference between flying a DA42 and conventional twin is significant. You should not forget these days there may even be pilots coming straight from a DA40. You may not think it is a significant problem but many find it is a substantial transition form a DA42 to a conventional twin. On the other hand the transition between the majority of conventional light twins is far more about ensuring familiarity with the different systems than being comfortable actually handling the thing. When I first flew a DA42 I was almost instantly comfortable with the aircraft and found few operational differences between the 42 and the 40 whereas when I first flew an Aztec the differences at first appeared substantial. Transitioning from an Aztec to a Seneca was a complete non event.

There is no such thing as a 'glass sign off'.
Well you had better explain that to most clubs and schools that oeprate glass aircraft because you will not find (m)any that will agree with you.

I agree that there is a school of argument that you can ignore LASORS and also that the ANO is not clear (so far as glass is concerned). However

(2) The holder of a licence to which this article applies is not entitled to exercise the privileges of an aircraft rating specified in Section 1 of Part B of Schedule 7 which is included in the licence on a flight unless—

(c) the holder has undertaken differences training in accordance with paragraph 1.235 of Section 1 of JAR-FCL 1 in the case of an aeroplane and paragraph 2.235 of Section 1 of JAR-FCL 2 in the case of a helicopter; and
(d) detailed information about that differences training is entered in the holder’s personal flying log book.

which is at least one reason why practically there is an expectation to see a sign off in the pilots log book that he has had difference training on a G1000 or Avidyne.

The rules haven't changed, it's just that you clearly do not understand them.
I may not understand them without reading them again - and to be frank I cant be bothered as it doesnt much matter to me - I willl leave that to you. What I can relate is my real world experience, so for anyone who wants to rent a DA42, or wants a twin rating and wants to feel comfortable flying both a 42 and a conventional twin I stand by my first post and wish everyone else the best of luck in telling the hire operator what enteries he does and doesnt need in his log book before they agree to hand over the keys.

PS - IO - I now understand and appreciate this is of non relevance to your post and for the purposes you describe then a 42 is the way to go. As you know they are real easy to fly. Mind you if you are flying in a certain warm place in good VMC under the hood for your purpose I am not sure what is to be gained in doing it in a 42 over a 40, although given the cost is probably not a factor then I would agree fill your boots with some twin time! Moreover the 40s are really not very nice at all, whereas the 42 are a treat as long as you are not paying for the maintenance.