PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has the AFAP ever had a decent win?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2010, 03:26
Dark Knight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wombat Watcher; Leadsled

As one intimately involved in the events when the Qantas pilots walked out of the AFAP and upon their fellow pilots; one who happened to be Chairing the Convention/Executive the day Westwood stood upon the table baring his A$$ to the Chair and AFAP Honour Board, I reject your recollection and assertion of events.

Yes Graeme Cant did devote a huge amount of his private, family life to his fellow pilots as did Bert Smithwell (QF), Dick Holt, etc, etc to name but a couple but to question `How many of you have done that ???is a gross slur upon, and insult to each and every pilot who has served his fellow pilots in any union! Of which there are Many!

It only became impossible for the Qantas pilots to live with the domestic pilot attitude purely and simply because of the Qantas pilots’ attitude, an attitude promoted to fester by the then leadership of the Qantas pilots.
`Qantas had to live with cost competition in the real world, not the cosy two airline policy world of Ansett and the National Airlines Commission ( by whatever trading name at the time).
Going along with "AFAP Policy" would have made QF hopelessly uncompetitive.’
Is indicative of this attitude as there were many within domestic side more than well aware of what was happening within the `real world’ and I reject those claims totally. (I suggest that should you go and check history you may find Ansett through the amalgamation of ANA and others airlines still held a number of international route rights in many world areas.)

Wombat watcher does NOT have a number of points right or correct as he would like to recall them; there are always two or more sides to any story.

I could argue/ debate many at length disputing them with facts, figures and records however, I have no desire to refight battles of yesteryear. Suffice to say there were many, many differences between all groups within the AFAP, Branches, etc, viz; Between Ansett - TAA; East West; Ansett – Qantas; TAA – Qantas; Between Branches, QLD – VIC – SA – NSW – International (Qantas) – WA and GA where many, many hours in meetings, behind the scenes meetings, etc, were spent attempting to resolve these. Most involved at the time were more than well aware of the politics, world aviation scene plus AFAP politics; through the perceived differences and difficulties of the time a review of improvements to Australian pilot salaries and lifestyles demonstrate a successful period of achievement comparable to any in the world.

One thing which really got up the Qantas pilots collective noses was the amount of time considering GA matters plus the fact `their’ annual; dues contributed to GA regardless that the AFAP was by and for all pilots.

However, within the AFAP was an overriding desire, intention, to improve the lot of ALL pilots where the selfish desires, aspirations, expectations of all were subject to examination and decision by their peers! Therein does lie the nub of alienation!

The process was often slow, long, tedious, and occasionally acrimonious with agreement or consensus reached however, as within any solution, particularly one involving compromise, not all could or will be satisfied. Enough of us learned, were taught, garnered the information to know the value of this, had the knowledge to understand further improvements could be sort in the next round of negotiations.

Whilst there was a desire to work collectively supporting gaining solutions and improvements for ALL pilots regardless of differences, much was achieved. When divisions were created and implemented the value of the cohesive group rapidly diminished, ultimate success then moved to airline management.

I suggest a comprehensive review of history and the value, standing and conditions of pilots within Australia today vividly illustrates the results of selfish division.

DK

PS: AFAP did have one big win, the introduction of the "North American Contract" in the '60's.
pps>> And, if it was not for Dick Holt, Ted Meredith and I think, Bert Smithwell (QF and a couple of other QF pilots), inserting a big rod up the Qantas pilots backsides for the only time the Qantas pilots ever stood up to go on strike, organising IFALPA to threaten to boycott flying into Australia then Qantas pilots probably would not benefitted from its introduction!

A compromise is the art of dividing a cake in such a way that everyone believes he has the biggest piece.