PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Computer Lockups
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2002, 07:03
OzExpat

PPRuNeaholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tinker ... thanks very much for that. I may have an "architecture" problem with this laptop. Interesting to see that you've had problems with ZoneAlarm. I did too so, after the trial period, I removed it from the computer - using the Add/Remove programs window, of course!

I used to have a Compaq Pressario, a couple years ago. It, too, would lock up on me, but not quite as frequently. I'm pretty sure it only had 128 MB of RAM too, which is another reason why my current problem may have more to do with the architecture of this laptop than anything else.

Don't seem to get anything like the same sort of lockup problem on a desktop PC, so maybe its something related to laptops only?

And, yes, I follow all those rules - except the one about McAfee. On every laptop I've ever had, its worked well for me. I changed to Norton some years ago and started to get software conflicts that increased the number of lockups. Didn't realise that Norton was the problem until I started asking around. Went back to McAfee as soon as I found out, and have not had any problems that I can attribute to it.

Anyway, I greatly appreciate your input.

Buttons ... thanks for the offer mate. Just wish I'd known about it sooner. Have just arranged to get an extra 256 MB, which is as far as this machine's RAM can be expanded.

Green Bottle ... I don't have the luxury of a network to be able to take that option, but I've thought about taking that drastic step a few times.