PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bad day at Manchester?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2010, 21:49
42psi

Received 60 Likes on 23 Posts
The "scheduled" runway inspections are based on a six minute run at a speed of approx 30 mph.

Prior to a sked inspection ops3/checker should currently be talking to the watch mgr 30 mins before to allow suitable planning and to be advised when a suitable actual time is available.

The normal scheduled inspections do not usually take 20 minutes on a runway... with two exceptions:

in the middle of the night when nothing is actually moving there is a detailed inspection which also involves driving up and down all the RET's/crossing points, shoulders etc... that one can take 20 mins .. but there's nothing actually using the runway at the time, not really difficult at night to find the time ... if there is it's broken off and resumed

The only time that might happen during daytime ops is if during an inspection something untoward is found.... but in that case it's technically a suspension of ops on that runway until it's declared OK again.

There are usually quite a few other inspections/bird runs which take place ... these runs can (and are) quite often be piecemeal and off/on...... but most of those doing the runs try to check the relevant traffic before calling up and will often use a phrase such as "traffic permitting" etc.

If, for example, a run is required for specific bird control/poss hazard etc then this again is usually identified in the call.

Any current watch manager/tower controller at EGCC knows all this already .....

wiccan I'm afraid your info is very out of date ... R** is actually ops1 these days and these are his requirements.

Personally I don't mind either way if it's one go or piecemeal .. that decision is for others to make.

I can also see that a/c may end up in the hold .. well that's for the folks that make the decisions

I've pointed out before there is a very simple local process for this being addressed if it really is a problem ... the procedures have already been modified this way before.