PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R22 accident Henau Switzerland
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2010, 11:36
nigelh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It really is madness now ....there will be at least 10 or 20 aircraft destroyed and people hurt practicing the WRONG things for every ONE hurt /damaged in a real failure .!!!! Nobody is going to get killed messing up the last 5 feet of an auto ....so it lands hard / rolls over etc big deal .Even the best of us will do that if they land on sloping ground etc There is NO need for this training now with engines so reliable ...most of us only do them because they are fun and cool . Why dont we stop the carnage ( admittedly only Robbos as a rule ) and do power recovery ....save a shed load of money on insurance ......and then practice the things that really DO kill people ....but typically are NOT covered in our normal training . ( Having said that there are instructors out there who do prepare their students properly and do a lot of training thats NOT in the book)
1) Flight into bad weather ..precautionary landing .
2) flight into cloud with 180 turn ...yes this may have to be done by an IR instructor but could still be done in a single . ( pls no drivel about needing 2 engines ....i am talking about popping into light cloud with say 1,000 base for 30 seconds with a fully qualified pilot possibly also done in controlled airspace but unlikely CAA will allow anything that will actually be useful in flight safety !! )
3) Confined area landings ......NO i dont mean landing on a cricket pitch with trees around it ...i mean properly tight like you will do when you get to your mates house and find he has lied about the size of his garden .
Lastly , i think i am right to say that most fatal engine failures , especially in Robbos , have been due to lack of RRPM , so these guys are dead whatever they do at the bottom .......this means practice more of the flare / drop collective and just do a recovery . It seems so obvious . I suggest that you owners contact your insurance co,s and say that your aircraft will never do autos to the ground and pocket a load of cash ....