PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crap ATC at TFS today.
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2001, 23:38
form49

ATC Watcher, it won't matter what our board of directors want to do to increase the capacity at our airfields and in our airspace. The standards are set by the safety reguator, as are the procedures, they are safe, orderly and as expeditious as they can be given the constraints that we work with.
The US system based on anticipated separation is all well and good if the pilots are on the ball and do what they are expected to do.
I've lost count of the number of times I've cleared an a/c for i"immediate" ttake off, only for the pilot to sit on the runway for close to a minute before applying the power, so the poor guy / gal, on short final, who was expecting late landing clearance while i attempt to make the best use of limited runway capacity gets sent round, and the guy on the runway has to hit the brakes.
Imagine if I'd given a "land after the departing", we're then into the realms of essential traffic information, an almighty loss of separation and a whole lot of paperwork and the subsequent interviews

Give me a system that is safe and deosn't rely on what the controller thinks a pilot will do!

------------------
Turn left heading 230, close from the left, report established