PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Computer Lockups
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2002, 16:39
Tinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QUESTIONNAIRE - COMPUTER LOCKUPS

1. Approximately how often do you experience a lockup? :

Rarely and only when I've overloaded the pc by having loads of apps running and using the internet at the same time.

2. What type of computer? (eg desktop, laptop/notebook, palm) :

Desk top and Notebook

3. What brand of computers? :

PC worlds finest 2 year old advent. Plus 3y old Compaq laptop.

4. What type of operating system? (anything from about Windows 3.11 to XP, Mac, Linux, etc) :
Windows 98

Started with ME,2000 then moved on to XP

5. What type of processor? (eg Pentium, Celeron, other?) :

AMD (aledgedly faster and cheaper than equivilent Pentiums)

6. How is "virtual memory" setup? (approx disk space available AND approx total RAM) :

Generaly allow windows to handle it (can't remember if that option is available for 98)

7. What are your most common types of internet activity? :

E-mail, Bulletin Boards (such as PPRuNe), some surfing. I can often have dozens of browser windows open at a time ie after doing a search for something i'll open anything that looks interesting then check it out when it's all downloaded.

8. Which web browser do you use (the most)?

IE 5/6, tried Nutscrape but never got on with the later versions. Neoplanet was fun for a while but I think it was just a version of either of the above with a different front end.

9. What type of computer usage? (eg occasional, frequent, heavy, addict, etc) :

Frequent... Internet, Word/Excel docs, CorrellApps and Solitare :o. Refuse to do any banking though, don't trust the internet that much.

10. Do you use a firewall? :

Only the inbuilt one on XP, tried Zone Alarm which I'm sure is good but it gave me problems so I will try that a bit later.

11. What types of e-mail protection programs? (eg anti-virus, anti-spam) :

AVG and AddAware. Had MacAfee once, it made a great coffee cup coaster.

I am fortunate enough to have several puter gurus in my circle of friends including a MS employee. They were always able to sort out any problems I had, but one in particular sorted out all problems once and for all by telling me his philosphy.

Back up anything important.
Don't fiddle/Don't fix what ain't broke.
Use add and remove progs to uninstall.
Don't install anything unless it is definately compatible with your operating system.
Formating the hard drive is usualy quicker.
Use the system restore disk if you or windows don't have the appropriate drivers.
But clean installs with MS disks are generaly better.
McAfee is the root of all evil (that ones mine).

I had several problems with my lap top until I took that onboard but since going from 98 (with system restore disk) to ME full version I have had no major problems.

This set of 'rules' may not work for everyone but I'm sure would reduce alot of problems.