PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vanguard
Thread: Vanguard
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2010, 12:32
scotbill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Vanguard (my first command - sniff) was a much under-rated aeroplane. Capable of carrying 139 pax (same as the Trident 3) it was one of the fastest propeller aeroplanes ever built. Although the cruise TAS was only 360kts, this made little practical difference on domestic services. For example, my best chock-to-chock time on Belfast-LHR on the Guardsvan was 59 minutes. Achieved the same time on the Trident and the B757, but never beat it.
(The official block time on Gla-Lhr was some ten minutes less than for jets in today's busier ATC environment).

One of the reasons was a TO performance which meant you used the handiest RW intersection. The other was the descent speed - VMO was comparable with the jets. As the archives from Flight confirm, the aircraft had been flight-tested to 400kts IAS. Apparently one test pilot averred that, above 400 indicated, he preferred the Vanguard to the Valiant! Vne in service was up to 330 IAS and London ATC found it necessary to put up a notice to controllers to be aware that Vanguards could often outrun Boeings on the descent.
All this without hydraulic controls. In fact the faster the IAS, the more precise the aircraft felt.

They were also independent of many ground services in that they had their own airstairs and were capable of 3-point turns. These assets proved invaluable in the industrial anarchy of the 1970s.

Those massive props had some unusual side effects. Landing in a strong headwind, going into Ground Fine Pitch was like running into a brick wall.
It took me some time to discover that there was also a significant gyroscopic effect in the flare. This was particularly noticeable in Xwinds. A Xwind from the right would almost disappear in the flare - whereas that from the left would mysteriously increase catching many an unwary aviator by surprise. (Myself included till I sussed out what was happening).

Sadly for the Vanguard, its late entry to service was in 1961 - the same year as the Comet 4b. Its economic advantages were overlooked in the beauty contest.

SB

Last edited by scotbill; 28th May 2010 at 16:21.