PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monday Pay Talks Deadline.......
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2002, 08:05
tug3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sector 8 Dear -

You are not an ATCO and your views re. what we do and how much we get paid are well documented in this thread and others. I repeat, "as the person best placed to know, I recon I know my own worth!", as, presumably, you do yours.

Bwatchbabe -

As someone others would accuse of talking the job up, I recon you'd fall into the category of those seeking to dumb it down:

"It is a very responsible job but so is driving a coach full of schoolchildren". No **** Sherlock! Stressful - undoubtedly, responsible - of course, but before I go on to compare HGV/PSV vs Rating/Validations, etc. etc. etc., do me one favour and I'll spare you the lecture...

If possible, before your next shift, take a trip to your nearest major airport and spend a couple of hours in the check-in area having a good, long look at the faces of the 100s if not 1000s of people, including children, passing through on their way to the departure lounges. Then consider if you will the fact that ALL their lives will depend upon the well chosen words which will be falling from your lips just a few hours later.

Now, having reminded yourself of your raison d'etre as an ATCO, tell me what you think you're worth AND how important your job is!

Last edited by tug3; 24th Jul 2002 at 08:09.