PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Gloomy day in Cyprus
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2002, 19:57
ethereal entity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To all and sundry

Sorry for the pause in the info stream, but even those of us in the big white bldg are entitled to a little time off! It seems that the civilianisation of 84 is going somewhat awry. Overall, the boys over there in Aphrodites Isle seem to be very happy with the kit that they are getting to operate with. The Griffin is coming with flir and radar and all the rest of the bits that SARBOYS get excited about. Good job. But why? Why are 84 Sqn getting a decent piece of civilian kit? The answer, I think, is all too simple. Firstly, It is worth a mention that the civvy option that 84 is recieving is nowhere near as capable as the military option that they wanted, yet it costs far more...Hmmm - methinks some dastardley plot is afoot. The only reason that the RAF has blindly ignored the SQN's pleas to keep 84 military is because I believe that there is already a contract in the offing which will civilianise UK SAR. The Gov't will see this as a cost cutting option, but the civvies are not even half as capable AS THE MILITARY WHEN IT COMES TO SAVING LIVES - Night rescue? - Don't bother, because the civvies are not allowed into the mountains/fells/moors/hills/countryside at night. However, John Prescott will strike a deal to allow civvies the right to run the UK SAR Force. As an EX SAR Pilot, I can assure you that this will cost hundreds of lives every year. Further, I have seen some info that indicates, quite clearly, that the SAR force is in danger, and may well be civvy within 5 years.

Oh dear - Prescott/Blair? - your decisions, if taken, will live with you whilst others die...think people will stand for that?!! Well, I for one won't.

Last edited by ethereal entity; 23rd Jul 2002 at 20:06.