PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bing-bong "This is your captain/flight attendant/whoever..."
Old 25th May 2010, 20:06
flyblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not entirely sure that korrol is not trolling us. I'll pretend he's not, because all the long of my career I've heard presumptuous passengers thinking they know all (infallibility), they don't have anything to learn from others (egocentrism), nothing's gonna happen to them (invulnerability), so why should they change? (rigidity).

As you see these attitudes are well known and have all been studied. Their result is invariably someone getting hurt sooner or later. In the past, before the Human Factors breakthrough, even people working for the airlines used to think that way, and procedures were designed with enormous flaws in them. When accidents happened, they were consequently studied and corrections could be made. We still learn from incidents and accidents, fine tuning our knowledge of how the human mind works in certain situations and environments. Because this is the point. Understanding how our mind works, because in a situation of emergency we cannot trust it unless we know how not to fall in all the traps laying in front of us. Our reactions have been designed in thousands and thousands years to respond to situations arising in our environment at the times. Which means, not in airplanes, not in skyscrapers or such. Today, there are high chances you'll get yourself killed if someone doesn't point you to the right actions to take. Crews are taught how to direct people into doing the right thing, through knowledge of their environment, procedures and Crowd Control techniques.

What is very important to understand, is that if you are not a professional in our industry, you are very likely to be extremely ignorant without having even the slightest clue how ignorant you are about how it works and why it works that way.

It would be too long to expand here, but for those interested about the subject, I suggest a book that is very easy to understand even for the layman, and very enjoyable. It is called The Untinkable, by Amanda Ripley.