PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bing-bong "This is your captain/flight attendant/whoever..."
Old 25th May 2010, 19:29
Hartington

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm a passenger.

Maybe there are several slightly different subjects here.

I have no problem with the safety demonstration. I've flown on all sorts of aircraft and even when they are (nominally) the same (think Boeing 737) there are a number of detail differences that I like to know about. Quite apart from differences in the base airframe, airline fit can make a difference to your escape routes.

Then there are what I'll call the "en route safety annoucements". Things like "We think we're going to encounter turbulence ....." and "we're beginning our approach.....". I consider them in the same vein as the safety briefing. Some airlines seem to be ultra cautious and spew them out with monotonous frequency while others are more relaxed but that's life.

The ones I do sometimes get frustrated by are the various service announcements. Are there people who like the sound of their own voice? Possibly. But I'm inclined to feel that much of what comes in the form of service announcements is "company policy" (there must be a welcome from the flight deck - I remember one pilot telling me he was sent on a training course so that he could deliver the message the way the company wanted) or "government requirement" (e.g. "we're going to hand out immigration forms") and some airlines look upon such announcements as an advertising or revenue opportunity whilst others take a more informational view. I've never been totally pi..ed off by such announcements but occasionally I find myself wishing they wouldn't be quite so long winded.

So, korrol, if you don't like the annoucements write to the airline and tell them which ones you think they should stop and why.