PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airliners mixing it with gliders and puddle-jumpers?
Old 23rd May 2010, 12:46
TALLOWAY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I've grabbed a snapshot of the Atlantic Airlines track off RadarVirtuel website. Jim59. I'm not sure that it's going to work as a link.
Prove that system is 100% accurate in terms of aircraft position and level please. I suspect it's not.

I have already raised the subject with the CAA, Cambridge CC and a couple of locals. My MP is now SofS for Health, malhereusement, so he will be v.v. busy, but I have hopes of a PQ, nonetheless.

My reason for braving the "lion's den", as it were, was to canvass opinion and to find out what makes good practice as far as professional controllers are concerned. Apart from the odd spurious question about my professional capacity , it has been a fruitful exercise, thanks to people like you.
If you really want to improve safety for all, then I'd lobby them to make Mode S mandatory in gliders, as well as all other aircraft. That way the various collision avoidance systems can do their job and safety is enhanced for everyone. If the country wasn't in such a financial mess, you could even ask the taxpayers for some funding assistance for the equipment ?

The only other solution is Controlled Airspace everywhere, but then you run in to all sorts of arguments about freedoms, service provision, costs, access, etc, etc, etc.

Or you can accept that other airspace users are entitled to operate in Class G and that 'see and be seen' applies to all as a method of collision avoidance. Everyone has the right to be there, everyone also needs to apply high standards of airmanship and put away their elitism.