PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airliners mixing it with gliders and puddle-jumpers?
Old 23rd May 2010, 08:22
BugOutWest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do about it?

What exactly do you expect us to do about it Bug?

Current climate of jobs and ops asked me to do it. I would give the choice of doing it or looking for another job along with the othr 1-2k pilots out of work in the UK a good thinking about for all of half a second then agree to do it.

There are quiet a few place round the UK where airliners mix with GA and gliders in Class G. In fact if you wanted to ban it you would cut off the whole of the North and West of Scotland.

Its the company's you will have to speak to/ or make life difficult (through your MP maybe) to get any changes. ATCO's can't stop the practise and for every pilot that refuses to do it there are another 3 who would be quite happy to operate to get a job.
You, nothing, mad_jock, thanks. As you say, the company and its captains are the people to convince of the doubtful airmanship of this practice. I have already raised the subject with the CAA, Cambridge CC and a couple of locals. My MP is now SofS for Health, malhereusement, so he will be v.v. busy, but I have hopes of a PQ, nonetheless.

My reason for braving the "lion's den", as it were, was to canvass opinion and to find out what makes good practice as far as professional controllers are concerned. Apart from the odd spurious question about my professional capacity , it has been a fruitful exercise, thanks to people like you.

B0W