PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Susi Air Work Permits
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2010, 17:33
PK-KAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My my, another slugfest on a SusiAir topic...

Well, let's see...
Susi Air seems to be the only company in Indonesia who tried to get an engineer (visiting Jakarta on a tourist visa for an interview, OK, nothing wrong with that, until...) to fix one of the caravans (not in Java), "to see if he can fix planes"... Slavery at its best.

Now take the time to reflect on your own DGCA, accepting bribes IS corruption. Hmm ethics mate.
Accepting a bribe is corruption, so is giving a bribe, and relying on your employer to bribe officials so you can continue to work without the required permit, is an accessory to corruption.

Now, other companies, have been employing foreigners and arming them with the right permits.

The fact that they are as you say AOG means the pilots or maintenance are not allowing the aircraft to fly in that condition, in which i think we all can agree is a good thing.
Yes, but then if the engine won't start, does it matter who AOG-ed the plane? So, if the DGAC comes along and checks on the planes, and the crew... "oh dear, you don't have the right permits..." or "oh dear, something is wrong with the maintenance logs" or "oh dear, this is unauthorized maintenance method", and the company goes "now now mr inspector, take this and be on your way or I'll make your career stop here right now," who's wrong?

Anyways, 2 wrongs don't make a right. It is a good thing if the pilots or maintenace AOG the sickplane, but one cannot say that to work without the right permits is a good thing!

Now if you are all out to save aviation in Indonesia, why not address issues rather than just go after one company and whine like an old lady, as i am sure that they are not the only problem in Indonesia.
Because, it seems that this particular company, prefers to regard locals (qualified and locals) as inferior... Not all are inferior (there are no doubts those who are indeed inadequate beyond belief... but then, there are also foreigners that fall into that category, regardless of company).

I don't go as strongly as Rustam about 'the day Susi Air gets its act together', I'd just be happy enough in the short term if "Susi air provides its foreign crew with the right permits to enable legal employment in the country"... she can babble endlessly about "how useless the locals are"...

Working permits aren't an aviation safety issue, it is a general issue. I don't care how good or bad Susi Air is, but if they violate even the immigration (non-aviation safetymatter) issue, that really doesn't give a hint on the management's trustworthiness when it comes to safety issues no matter how many/few AOGs/crashes there has been. Heck, this is a basic corporate governance issue... which is supposed to be waaaaay below aviation safety in terms of complexity.

But then, I don't know if Susi can be consistent about "locals being useless" and "foreigners are useful", except for the fact that several foreigners have left because of no pay for over 6 months...

I actually feel sorry for those who are hold to ransom & open to the vagaries of Indo immigration laws because the Madame decides "to hell with inferior Indonesian inferior requirements on employment of foreigners." When push comes to shove, (and I hope to God that day won't come, or maybe it has without us knowing), some of these "non-KITAS" guys will be in the line of fire if they don't obey, because they can face criminal penalties for knowingly being "illegally employed"... this method of "intimidation" have occured before!

At least for those I know personally (non-locals), no matter how desperate one is for hours and ratings, they stay away from prostituting themselves for it. In turn, there are also companies who don't like employing what they call "aviation prostitutes/willing slaves", both here, and abroad...

You think my wish is too much of a dream, well, "wismilak" (no pun intended).