PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 22nd May 2010, 15:15
Tiramisu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Posted By Litebulbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiramisu
Why didn't they watch the slides and pay lip service and at least grin and bear it even if they found it boring

That is a key issue here and I fully agree with you. In not doing it, it strengthened Mr Walsh's position. You do have to be in the room to say no.
Litebulbs,
One thing Willie Walsh has repeatedly said is that is he will always work with UNITE and UNITE is the Union that the cabin crew agreements will come under. Infact it is on record, and still is in the IFCE Intranet Library videos when he was asked a question re-future Union representation for cabin crew at one of the employee forums.

Boondocker
I just realised, I have proved Willie Walsh and the Pilots correct in the figures mentioned about our salaries. I think the Press do read the forum, so no need to take out a full page advertisment. At least they'll realise Willie Walsh is telling the truth and know who is lying.

Posted by 64k
Tiramisu, I think it is admirable that you posted your exact earnings on here. Yes, BA has traditionally paid significantly better than other UK carriers, but I do believe that many (but sadly not all!) cabin crew are very committed and deserve their salaries.
64k,
If am honest I've been wanting to put the record straight for some time and finally decided to. That's what I earn and it's no point lying about it.
Having said that, I'm not saying that we don't deserve what we're paid. All I said is I can't justify my salary at the moment since the reduced offering on flights in the last eighteen months. On a normal shorthaul flight, all we do is a bar after take off, meals, tea & coffee and duty frees. I would not have said that eighteen months ago when we were working our socks off, reality is the job has changed whether we like to believe it or not.
I know we deal with all sorts of emergencies, but that's what we get paid to do and so does every cabin crew member in every other airline. That is the nature of the job, it doesn't make us unique in what we do.

I think we've had our good times and sadly our business model does not work any more to remain competitive. If Willie Walsh doesn't sort this out, someone else will, that's a fact. It's a tragedy that BASSA failed to negotiate when they had the opportunity. We could all have, all of us in BA been enjoying the summer instead of worrying about jobs, regardless of what department we're working in insted of being in this terrible position we're in now. Sadly, we BA cabin crew are the most hated group of employees in the UK at the moment for ruining people's holidays and travel plans this summer.

I am BA cabin crew and the above are my own views.

Last edited by Tiramisu; 22nd May 2010 at 15:37.