PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Man fires at helicopter (or .... Welcome to "RotorBlast". Do not enter if .... etc)
Old 22nd Jul 2002, 21:35
SandBlaster-214

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn, I told myself I wouldn't say anymore...,

I'm only one Dude here, so my answers may not mean much, but I feel compelled to add a little more to this discussion.

It’s a great title, Heliport. You have to admit, you knew it was coming. All one has to do is mention the words; “firearm” and “America” somewhere in the same post and all hell breaks loose. And you’re right, it wasn’t a Robinson, it was an AR-15.

Very good points Flare, I agree, and I don’t have the answers either.

Steve76, I don't know why some goof tucks away an AR for use on neighborhood terrorists. For that matter, I don't know what you base your statements on that the entire American society is FUBAR. I just hope they're not based on what CNN and CNBC have to say. Or, maybe it's that you're just out looking for the black. Too bad, 'cause there's so much white to be found in the US. You ever see what kind of a house a bunch of high school kids can build for a needy family over a summer vacation - ever see the pride in their faces when they hand over the keys to the young mother - ever see the joy in a young mother's face watching her two sons play on the carpet in their own bedrooms for the first time? Unfortunately, that kind of thing doesn't sell does it Steve76? The world would rather hear about the one ******** lunatic who takes potshots at an idiot pilot than the sixteen teenagers who gave up a summer to VOLUNTARILY (means – for free) build a new home for three total strangers. (I've seen it almost every summer since 1989)

OK, Crab, here's my answer to your "why, why, why...?" I own my firearms solely for competition. Protection is only a side benefit. I don't sleep with one next to the bed - don't even keep one loaded in the house. When I go out, I don't "pack" unless its to a shoot and then they're in a sealed, locked chest in the back of the pick-up truck. Sure, I enjoy shooting - I enjoy the precision - I enjoy the competition. The LAST thing I would ever want to do is shoot another human being. Hell, I don't even enjoy hunting. Since 1969 when I started competitive shooting, I've met hundreds of people with similar ideals - it's competition, NOT killing. Think I'm the minority? Head out to Camp Perry some year. But that kind of story doesn’t sell either does it, Crab. The world would rather hear about the one ******** lunatic who takes potshots at an idiot pilot than the thousands of responsible gun-owners who, like me, are in it for the sport and would NOT have charged across the street while laying down grazing fire.

Red Wine, it’s a criminal act in the US to cause the death of another human being while operation a vehicle under the influence of alcohol too. It’s not a question of law – it’s the prosecution of the law breakers. Book someone for 2nd degree murder one day and after the ADA and the defense attorney have spent two nights discussing the case over cocktails at McGillicutty’s, it’s plead out the door at aggravated DUI with a suspended sentence and driving privileges back after 90 days. The point I was trying to make was; a drunk kills several kids it gets blown off. An idiot shoots at an idiot and the anti-gun battle cries come out 5 x 5. I hate statistics as much as the next Dude, but I’m going to throw a couple out for conversation’s sake. In 1998 the NHTSA (National Highway Transportation Safety Administration) found that 38.4% of all fatal highway crashes were alcohol related. They also found that the typical DUI violator commits that offense at least 80 times a year, and, depending on what part of the country you live in, for every ONE violator arrested, there are between 500 to 2000 DUI violations committed. The last one; one the average weekend, one out of every ten vehicles on the road is operated by an impaired driver. So, if ETOH isn’t socially acceptable, why do we tolerate it at all? Let’s get rid of all alcohol. Why is the debate so lopsided? Guns kill – Alcohol kills – do away with both! Yeah right, let’s see how far that gets.

Nick, I’m not against responsible control or abiding by the laws that exist. I firmly believe we should aggressively enforce the laws we have before making any new ones. Try this one on for size; instead of making any new laws, make it MANDATORY that the existing laws are enforced as written. If you get caught, you’re going to suffer the consequences – cut and dried! Get caught with an illegal firearm, the violator gets charged per the letter of the law, destroy the weapon and the judge must sentence according to the established guidelines – no pleas, no payoff, no “good ol’ boy” stuff. Get caught DUI, the violator gets charged per the letter of the law, impound the vehicle and the judge must sentence according to the established guidelines – no pleas, no payoff, no “good ol’ boy” stuff.

OK, that’s it for today, gotta go to work now (yes, Flare, earning my pittance – but, by golly I’m having fun). BTW it was another beautiful sunrise this morning over the mountains, sat on the back porch with a hot cup of coffee, listened to some birds, watched ol’ Wiley Coyote stroll across the horse pasture with some kind of breakfast hanging from his mouth. Life is good, and barring any catastrophes tonight, I’ll do the same tomorrow. And since I’m off tomorrow, I’ll get to see the sun go down while sitting on the front porch – what a deal! Regardless of where you are and what you believe – right or wrong, I hope ya’ll get as much enjoyment out of your days as I do mine.

C Ya