PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does "Cleared for the XXX approach" clear me for a procedure turn?
Old 17th May 2010, 20:44
SH-60OB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does "Cleared for the XXX approach" clear me for a procedure turn?

Trying to draw on the wealth of expertise here. May have been doing something wrong for 16 years.

hypothetical scenario. One mile south of Mayport at 1500 ft. Cleared for the Copter TACAN RWY 05. LINK

LID:NRB - COPTER TACAN RWY 05 (0909)

Fly the 180 radial outbound. AT PAWNEE I turn to 150 to execute a teardrop procedure turn to get headed inbound on the 180 radial so I can commence the approach. Approach calls and says I did not ask for holding and what am I doing, I reply that was cleared for the approach and am manuvering in the depicted airspace to position myself to commence the approach. Approach's response is that I was not cleared for the procedure turn and should have requested a turn in holding.

Questions. When cleared for this approach, isn't the holding depicted an arrival holding pattern designed for me to manuever as required to intercept the IAF?

If they wanted me to just intercept the arc from the north shouldn't the IAF be on the arc or there be an additional IAF inside the ARC?

Have I been wrong for not asking for a procedure turn when cleared for the approach?

If I asked for a turn in holding wouldn't i have to do a teardrop entry and then do a turn in holding to actually meet the requirement?

Thanks in advance for your expertise.
OB