PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monday Pay Talks Deadline.......
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2002, 16:37
OrsonCart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Findo, well said.

Not everyone will share your views, but the history behind former wage rises is fascinating.

I think the work the negotiators put in to bring to a ballot a 10% rise must be commended, especially against a back drop of a huge re-agjustment within the airline industry.

In a former private sector life I had part responsibility for negotiating, or rather protecting existing terms and conditions. It was always a massive task even attempting to negotiate a near inflation matching award (Profits are for shareholders, not staff!).

With inflation so low and the current business in turmoil, I personally think they have done a good deal with very few attached 'strings'.

The big negotiations however will start in ernest once management and Prospect start talking WPP. The terms and conditions enjoyed by NATS employees are generally the envy of most non NATS units. They must be protected at all cost. As Findo said, there are ways of reducing costs on paper which reap financial rewards for staff without them having to give much away in return.

Personally I am far more concerned that via WPP negotiations, my T's & C's are not compramised, and very worried about the future of such a fine final salary pension scheme which is the flagship of all ATC pensions within the UK!

The question I now have to ask myself is, am I prepared to go on strike with this offer on the table?