PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - 2
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2010, 12:53
Hartington

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
virginblue, I don't disagree with you, in principle, but I'd be interested to know which of the various fees/taxes you believe should be part of the fare and not an "extra".

If you'd asked me about 15 years ago I'd have been amazed that anyone even suggested splitting anything out. As far as I was concerned a fare included everything, airport taxes, baggage etc etc and that the only thing that might appear in the tax box was imposed by a government.

You could argue that governments (and particularly the US surprisingly) started the rot when they started imposing fees for customs processing and the like. Then we had (as I mentioned before) the demise of duty free in the EU the airlines got in the act with airport fees. In many ways I'd prefer that the price you see is the price you pay.

But, trying to put the other side of the argument why should the airlines have to put their price up just because a government decides to apply a new tax (APD?). And, why NOT make the fare purely for transportation and if you want to check a bag, have a meal, borrow a blanket then pay extra? Given that most people seem to be driven purely by the price of transportation surely that offers them the best value.