PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AEIO-320 Engine overhaul advice
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2010, 18:04
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAA regs have changed, 8130-3 for engines and props now. Ref below.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/20100507DRAFT4_V2.pdf
That's brilliant - many thanks.

However, it doesn't actually say what the limits of acceptability are regarding the use the destination airframe is put to. I presume this has not changed i.e. AOC ops still need the EASA Form1 for Class 1 parts. This of course doesn't affect a SE private aircraft which will almost never go into the AOC market.

I don't know how this works lower down in AOC ops (e.g. an oil hose); one can obtain anything with a Form1 if one really wants to by jamming some £££ up the back end of an EASA145 company who prints off the paperwork. When I was doing my engine in 2008 (SB569A), I was offered a Lyco crankshaft, dynamically balanced in the USA, supplied via a UK engine shop which added £800 for generating the Form 1

Just before EASA came in, I researched an article on this topic. It was clear from the CAA regs that one could use parts straight from the USA or elsewhere, with any document supporting traceability (i.e. not even an FAA 8130-3), in everything non-AOC except Class 1 parts (engines and props) which needed the 8130-4. Unsuprisingly, this corresponded with the day to day reality of aircraft maintenance, on everything from a C150 to a 747.

I then tried to update it, post-EASA, by asking EASA but got a total run-around by some anally retarded ex-Brits living out there who were totally divorced from reality ("Form 1 for the lot; all the FAA-[various European countries] treaties are now dead")