PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2011 recruitment
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2010, 02:52
pablo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi fellas,

first of all, I don't mean to sound bitchy but this industry is a cruel mistress for pilots. And it's difficult to have a good overview/understanding of the pilot market until it's too late.

Now... about pay to fly... some guys had success, many others didn't. It's mostly a gamble.
Then even if you get the job and are unfortunate to be in a dodgy workplace, you'll be always pressed because basically you can't say no (you are very easy to replace, and you didn't cost a euro to the company). Even if something happens like the company downsizing, you loose your medical, etc... you are basically in a difficult position.
If the company pays for the training, they'll always be more supportive after the investment they made.
Not to mention the stress you give to yourself for the finnacial risk (unless you come from a rich family).

But... each one can do what he wants with his/her money.

IMHO I think the fairest solution for both parts is a reasonable training bond covering part of the investment the company is making.

Now... having covered that part... about those of you guys being somehow stressed about your situation, I used to be like that.
I had the burden also of comparing myself to others, being negative, etc...
If you accept a humble advice... never let that kind of thing to happen to you, and never beat yourself up.

You must be in peace with yourself and proud, since you are actually doing whatever is within your hands to find a job and move forward on your career.
Yes, indeed we could always do more, and maybe if... maybe if... but I do what I can do and that's all.

I have many colleagues some gained employment with XYZ airline, some paid for ratings, some travelled here and there, etc... they tell you you must do this or that. The part they usually forget to tell is that they have a family backing up finnacially, this or that contact, etc...

VNA Lotus, keep your faith as others said.
You'll see how tasteful it is to find a good job on your own merit and without paying. Might take a bit longer, but you'll be happier for sure.

Finally, I'm not a Human Resources or Economy guru, but... I think the events on the following weeks month might change a lot the prospects for 2011. Greece is bankrupt, and Spain and Portugal are in danger, thus endangering EU economy. We have to wait and see.
I think it's an excellent time to get a university degree and have it as a backup, or go that way and just fly for fun, without all the stresses of job hunting!

Cheers and good luck!