PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beijing multiple Runway and STAR changes
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2010, 14:55
welliewanger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been into Beijing 1 or 2 times a week for the past six months. The first few times were a bit hectic, but we've just learnt to breif approaches to the two most probable runways and 2 stars. They can all be checked in the FMS well before arrival, so when we get clearance we can make any alterations quickly.
Our worst arrival had 2 cleared STARs and 4 runways. However, generally the worst we get usually is a runway change.

Can you guys get a METAR on ACARS?

@Bekolblockage
I think I speak to you quite a bit (G-FA).
Switching between STARs and approaches isn't as easy as it may sound. Re-tuning the ILS is easy as the alternative fequency can be in standby, but (at least in my plane) there's no standby in the FMS. That needs to be re-programmed. A change of STAR and approach will take at least 30 seconds to 1 minute (need to tell the system what the new STAR & app are and maybe re-programme the weather as well as re-tuning radios, setting inbound track and DA). Double this if it's going to be checked. Add another 30 secs if we get "other" instructions (HDG / Alt) during the re-programming. This is all fine and dandy if it comes one at a time, but a change of runway AND a change of heading / alt in the same radio transmission can lead to mistakes.

P.S. request 07R for BAC!