PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest Future Brize 'hiccups'
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2010, 23:13
ShortFatOne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sim asymmetric appch / overshoots - warning horn is linked to throttle position. CB is often pulled when doing the above to stop the horn constantly going on and off since the horn trigger point in throttle travel sits right around the throttle position that corresponds to Zero Torque, used to simulate a feathered prop. Common practice on the fleet.

It would be an interesting exercise to map actual (as in real life asy apps & o'shoots) occurrences of these situations versus the benefit of practicing in a live asset rather than a simulator. I don't just mean on the Herc fleet, perhaps across the wider Defence Aviation community we need to start looking at using less expensive (both in materiel terms as well as human terms) assets like simulators. I can't recall the last time I went on holiday with Mrs SFO and Speedbird 40 PA'd that we would be landing late due to the crew practicing a simulated asy o'shoot.

And just think of all the fatigue life we could save with fewer gear cycles, ground/air/ground transitions, reduced engine wear, reduced maintenance due to reduced FI usage..................Might even improve the availability rate and, perhaps perversly, the serviceability rate due to reduced maintenance activity.

Just a mad thought which I'm sure will never catch on....except with civvy fleets that have operated in this manner for the last 30 years or so.

Finally, rather than pulling the CB, did anyone ask the Herc Requirements Manager to get an alert that could be cancelled. At least then the crew would get protection provided by the system and still have the ability to cancel the audio each time (could be automatically reset after each approach by any number of conditions - change in flap/gear/altitude increase through...etc).