PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Federal Election 2010: Which party will support Aviation?
Old 6th May 2010, 15:16
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh and to answer the thread starter - none - you just have to vote for the party MOST LIKELY to get the hell out of the way (relatively speaking) and let capitalism do its thing - the rest follows.

I'll give you a hint - Expecting to take a 40% dividend from a company you are not a shareholder of, and have no capital at risk in yourself, is not getting the hell out of the way and letting capitalism do its thing. If this tax goes through - and I don't believe it will - WA/QLD FIFO ops will be decimated as well as the employment prospects of many 1000s of Australians not connected to aviation and the super nest eggs of millions of Australians. Think they will be going on holidays via airlines after?

Personally I am wondering how long before Rudd trots out a junior minister to break the news that he's changed his underware - I mean mind.

Why don't I think it will happen - well if you were the CEO of a multi billion $ multinational mining company with competing (for the investment $) interests all over the world what would you do if this tax stands? I would be investing where I get the best return for shareholders as is my fundamental responsibility as CEO - I don't do that I get sacked. Even if I was stupid enough to WANT to invest billions in mining ops in Australia would international banks lend me the money with this uninvited new shareholder possibly deciding at some point 40% isn't enough after all?

How can Rudd climb down from this lunacy and not look even more politically impetuous than he has over ETS, Insulation, BER, Illegal Immigration, Population growth, food watch, fuel watch and on and on?

This is big - he may actually have taken a step too far.